I hope everyone is keeping safe and healthy during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Unfortunately, in response to rising COVID-19 numbers, stay-at-home orders/lockdown measures have created financial hardships for individuals and small businesses, resulting in unemployment and business closures.
I am hoping to use the #Engage416 forum to provide tips on how to enhance your resume.
Resume Writing Tips and Tricks
1. Each resume will need to be tailored to the job posting. In order to enhance your application status, do not go forward with a "one size fits all" approach. Each job application requires different skills set. Take the opportunity to reflect and write how your skills, qualifications and experience parallel the job description. Tailor and mirror keywords/language from the job posting to improve your candidacy.
2. The header of your resume should include the following information: full legal name, city, province, phone number and e-mail address. Do NOT include your personal home address as a measure of protecting your privacy.
3. Break down and detail your resume with the appropriate sub-headers. For example: Summary of Qualifications, Education/ Certifications, Training, Languages, Technical Skills, Work Experience. If you are limited in professional work experience, you can use Volunteer Experience as a substitute.
4. Use descriptive bullet points that begin with strong action verbs.
· Example: Coordinate, schedule, train, manage, create, arrange, prepare, assist, analyze, publish, draft, update, correspond, supervise, oversee, consult etc.
· NOTE: Remember to use the appropriate verb tenses when referring to previous jobs and present jobs.
5. Quantify your experience. What do I mean by that? Add numbers in your resume to describe your experience. This will allow the Hiring Manager to have a glimpse at your achievements. For example:
a) Managed over 125 client files in a fast-paced office environment.
b) Scheduled and coordinated 10 appointments and meetings on a weekly basis.
c) Served up to 20 patrons with food and beverages during a regular scheduled shift.
d) Trained 5 newly hired Customer Service Representatives on sales strategies, customer service and closing techniques.
6. Proofread, proofread, proofread! Double-check for any grammar or spelling errors.
7. Save your resumes as a PDF document to preserve the formatting of the document.
8. Be honest. Honesty and integrity is important during the recruitment process.
Do not include the following:
a) "References Available Upon Request". A recruiter/hiring manager will ask for your references during the screening/interview stage. There is no need to include this phrase at the bottom of your resume.
b) Hobbies or personal interests (unless directly requested in the application).
c) Any highly sensitive personal identification numbers including, but not limited to: SIN number, passport number, O.H.I.P number, Drivers Licence, banking information (including direct deposit digits).
d) A photo of yourself.